Sunday, September 6, 2015

I'm going to miss this..





Ericka, same size but 3 years older, moved to Topeka this summer and will be competing for Cage. We will have to go cheer her on, she has been one of Roe's biggest cheerleaders the past 2 seasons. 


(My last and one of my favorite pics of Roe in the gym, I don't get the photocreds on this)
2 weeks ago-ish, Monroe decided to take a break from gymnastics. This was a shock and a blessing at the same time. In 6 years, she never had an injury, bad season, a burnout or hated it, just had gone through a really rough summer of mental blocks (that she has gone through every year) but I feel like the timing was good. The skills continue to get tougher and scarier, and I think that if her heart were in it, she would have overcome the mental part. She is so driven and so hard on herself, it is hard to parent this. I am the supporter, cheerleader, encourager and hate to see her down on herself. She is a non-complainer and pretty quiet when it comes to her struggling. I am tremendously thankful to Nicole and her team for being so supportive through this. We have lost so many gymnasts who have quit or moved over the last 6 years, I never imagined mine being one of them.   I honestly think losing a coach and some of your best friends in the gym are part of where she is at right now. We talked, cried, prayed and decided a break was what was best for now, and Monroe has been finding her new identity outside the gym. Thankfully, she is a lover of a lot of things and gymnastics will always be a part of her and who she is.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh, that's really tough. I'm proud of you for honoring where she's at and proud of her for being true to herself. She is a talented and fantastic kid. Can't wait to see what you do next, Monroe! xoxo