Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Monsoon .5 marathon


Jess had shirts made with "Team Lund" on the front and our nicknames and birth order on the back. Pictured from left, we got "Bully" aka Jess, "Wuf" aka me, "Big T little b" aka Tia, "Flange", aka Angie, and Dad.

and the winner is...

7 or 8 months ago I extended an invitation/challenge to my 3 sisters and my dad. What better way to celebrate his 60th birthday and retirement, than to run a half marathon in Chicago together. My dad and I participated in this race 4 years ago on Lake Shore Drive, it was gorgeous, flat with lots of music & entertainment along the way. Not really thinking all 3 of my sisters would accept the offer, seeing how none of them had even run a 5k (had you?), I was thrilled when they said yes. Little did I know after months of preparation, we would all be flying in to meet up with Hurricane Ike. I am so proud of my dad & sisters, I think I am still in shock that we all finished, in an absolute downpour. We arrived to the race with trashbags on and sloshed 13.1mi down the shore.This is not the race I remember 4 yrs ago, I can barely see with the rain hitting me in the face. Did I mention, my dad took off before mile 2, yes the almost 60yr old, ditched us. Rated top 10 in Runners World mag for best half marathon, not so much this year. Despite the elements, we had an amazing time and besides a bit of chafing, we all finished feeling pretty good. Did I ask who is in for next year, Im thinking for Angie's big 4-0?

4 comments:

Sharyl said...

You all are absolute studs!! Way to go and congrats to all the sisters who had never run before. Very impressive.

Jennifer Walker said...

Seriously, Keely...is this half-marathon number 3 in just 3 months! I think so, if I remember correctly! You are absolutely CRAZY girl! Impressive, though! Congrats!

The Coon's said...

Awesome! that is great. Very very inspiring. Glad you got to run!

pamela said...

that rain is just ridiculous. it would have been a hard enough race without the rain!!